- Area is the amount of surface covered by an object or space.
- The SI unit for area is square metre (m²).
- Area is also measured in square centimetre (cm²) and square millimetre (mm²).
1 m² = 1m x 1m
= 100cm x 100cm
= 10 000 cm²
1 cm² = 1 cm x 1 cm
= 10 mm x 10 mm
= 100 mm²
- Table below shows the formula to calculate the area of regular shapes such as squares, rectangles and triangles.
- Area of irregular shapes can be estimated by tracing the shapes on a graph paper and then count the number of squares covered by the shapes.
- Squares that are more than 50% covered by the shape are counted as 1cm² each.
- Figure below shows the example of finding area of a leaf by using graph paper. The area of the leaf is approximately 27 cm².